Your Nav Bar Here

Sunday, July 15, 2012

It's a homemade tor-tee-ya!....or is it a tor-til-ah

A few weeks ago I was at my sister's house to watch her three youngins' so she could clean the house and get some things done that needed to get done.  She recently has been into making her own bread, pizza dough, and tortillas. While the two older kids watched Dora, and the youngest bouncing away in his bouncer, my sister decided she wanted to make tacos with a homemade tortilla recipe.

After we got everything cooked (with some flavoring of my home grown cilantro), she let me have a taco and I can't even begin to describe the delicious-ness the tortilla.  At first I was skeptical of eating a homemade tortilla because my mother and I made one before and it called for lard and when we cooked it, there was no flavor and it was just not good. With that carved in my mind, I ate the tortilla thinking it was going to be gross and bland but it was not and I'm still in shock that I enjoyed it so much.

A week after I went searching on the Internet for a tortilla recipe because I wanted to make tacos the next night, and I couldn't find any that I went through on Tasty Kitchen that didn't have any lard in it so I went through my bookmarks and there it was, the recipe for the tortillas! I do recommend trying out this recipe because you will not be disappointed with this recipe!

Thanks so much Homesick Texan! I would be having terrible thoughts about homemade tortillas without this recipe!




Homemade Flour Tortillas
Homesick Texan
Prep Time: Thirty-Five Minutes
Cook Time: Ten Minutes
Servings: Eight

Ingredients:
  • 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
  • 1 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 1 Teaspoon Salt
  • 2 Teaspoons Vegetable Oil
  • 3/4 Cup Warm Milk
Directions:
  1.  Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and vegetable oil in a bowl. 
  2. Slowly add in the warm milk, stir till forms a loose sticky ball.
  3. Knead for about 2-3 minutes on a floured surface or till it is a soft and firm. (I used an electric hand mixer with two little dough hooks for this part! You can probably do it in a stand mixer or even by hand if you want)
  4. Place dough in a bowl and let it rest for 20 minutes with either a damp cloth over the bowl or  plastic wrap. 
  5. Either pull off 8 sections, after it rest, or cut it in half then half that so you have four pieces then again to get 8 equal parts.  Roll them into a ball in your hands and set on a plate apart from each other. Cover with the same damp cloth/plastic wrap and let them rest 10 more minutes. (This helps them to not be so elastic)
  6. Pat the dough into about 4" circles then put them on a surface, with a little bit of flour, and roll them out with a rolling pin till they are about 8", or till you get your desired thickness. Keep the uncooked tortillas covered while rolling out the rest.
  7. Heat a skillet (I used a electric skillet, it did not work as well with the browning, but I'm sure a cast iron will do work so much more!), with no oil, and cook one tortilla at a time. Cook one side for about 30 seconds, or till the top side is bubbly and the bottom is a little golden, then turn it over and cook the other side.  Keep them covered on a different plate with a towel to keep them hot. (Or reheat on skillet if necessary).  Enjoy!
I did not dust the flour off enough, but it was still good!


I have not tried to eat any the next day, so I can't give you any feedback, but if they are still good the next day please do leave a comment below! Also if big tortillas is not what you are going for i'm sure you can roll them into a little bit smaller and have mini tortillas!

I also took the time to make a page for you to print off for easy access, and to add to your pile of recipes! Click here to get the image to print on flickr! 

With Tortilla Induced Coma Love,

Catherine Mae, The Dashing Chic

No comments:

Post a Comment